Subject: [Leica] Leica themed dog's name
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:32:48 -0400

I see that's what WIKI says Metol is.
I wanted to memorize at least one long chemical name and that was the one I
picked. But I had it from the Kodak bottle:
P-METHYLAMINOPHENOL SULPHATE
I can spout that out on the sidewalk just like I can say:
Supercalafragilisticexpealadocious. Which does no good for your highlights.
On the Kodak  bottle it says "Elon" who was superman's hamster back on
krypton.

Synonyms are:

Armol
DD-4
Elon
Genol
Graphol
Methylaminophenol Sulfate
Metol
Monomethyl-p-Amino-Phenol Sulfate
p-Hydroxymethylaniline Sulfate
Pertol
Photo-Rex (woof!)
Photol (Merck)
Pictol ( Mallinckrodt)
Planetol (from the darkroom cookbook I promise)
Rhodol (DuPont)
Satrapol
Scalol
Vera
Veritol (Defender)

If you're going to play photo chemical Scrabble this is the one to know. Or
writing DC comic books.
Generally when people run into trouble in the darkroom allergy's wise this
is the culprit. By any name.
Many who get Metol reaction have to quit darkroom work is the story.
Though I would think they could change to Phenidone.
Ilford' s thing which works with Hydroquinone like Metol does
 (1-phenyl-3-pyrazolidinone)
Super additively.
The low contrast component.

Its my favorite developing agent.
More properly called a "reducer" as it reduces silver salts to silver.

Its used ALONE with no hydroquinone its D-23 for your negs or Selectol Soft
for your prints.
Marvelous print color almost without toning. And marvelous negative
gradation on most films with the notable exception of Tri x. which hates the
stuff at any dilution.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com