Subject: [Leica] Advice on insuring equipment
From: meino at (Meino de Graaf)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:27:58 +0200

If it is a summicron 35mm version IV, it is hidden at the back of the
aperture ring. You have to set the lens at the 0.7 meter distance to
make it visible

Meino de Graaf

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Herbert, you should insure them for replacement cost--what you paid back
> in the day is irrelevant here.
> As for serial number, I just looked at all my Leica M lenses, ranging from
> a 1970s Summilux to modern 75mm Summitar and 24mm Elmar, without exception
> the serial number is on the front ring of the lens.
> Cheers,
> Nathan
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> Blog:
> On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Herbert Kanner wrote:
>> I am about to insure my M9 and a couple of legacy lenses. The lenses are
>> a 35 mm Sunmmicron purchases from KEH and a 90 mm Summicron purchases
>> from Henning Wulf, both bought approximately eight years ago for about
>> $600 each.
>> The first problem is evaluating the lenses. I've looked at B & H and KEH
>> used lists and there is quite a price range, depending on condition, but
>> my best guess is that the lenses have appreciated and that $1000 is
>> reasonable. Am I right?
>> The second problem is that I can't, for the life of me, find a serial
>> number on the 35 mm lens. Where do they hide it?
>> Thanks for any advice,
>> Herb
>> --
>> Herbert Kanner
>> kanner at
>> 650-326-8204
>> Do not meddle in the affairs of cats,
>> for they are subtle and will pee
>> on your computer!
>> Leica Users Group.
>> See for more information

Replies: Reply from chris at (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Advice on insuring equipment)
Message from photo at (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Advice on insuring equipment)