Subject: [Leica] Wooden boat lifespan
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:37:44 -0400

Dick writes:

A friend just asked me offline if "Freedom" was really that old.  She is,
and was recently restored, viz:

http://www.woodenyachts.com/media/PDFs/EBrochure.pdf

http://www.woodenyachts.com/Media/PressLibrary/IYRS_RQ_SUM09.pdf

 - - - - -

Wooden boats CAN last a long time if they are properly maintained. The
Charles Morgan, the whaler on display at Mystic Seaport is 100 years old and
the Constitution, on display in Boston is over 200 years old. Of course both
have had a ton of money poured into them. Typically, though, most wooden
boats live only 30 years or so before the cost of keeping them seaworthy
adds up to more than the boat is worth. Most of the great clipper ships of
the 1800s lasted only about ten years. They were sailed hard to make as much
profit as possible then were scrapped or converted into barges. The lower
portion of New York's Manhattan had its waterfront extended by grounding
these old hulks, filling them with rocks and sand. Occasionally construction
projects along the waterfront dig into the remains of these old ships while
excavating the basements. My old wooden boat, Cognac, was 30 years old when
we bought her and it lasted another ten years before the man we sold her to
let her smash on the rocks in a bad storm. It probably would have lived
another 20 years, not as long as the Morgan or the Freedom, but as long as
my Leica M3.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/9_+Cognac+just+after+launch.jpg.html

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from michiel.fokkema at gmail.com (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Wooden boat lifespan)