Subject: [Leica] 2500 iso now rant
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:53:30 +1000

I readily confess to not often looking at cat photos. Occasionally I do post
flower photos and I often look at those from others.
I just checked 12,000 files in Lightroom and found that I have shot just 4
at ISO 2500 ! and almost everything from ISO 640 and down.
In my opinion the exposure decision (underexposure is death) and the quality
of the available light are large factors in how well high ISO shots work. My
experience, echoed by others is that the M9 does about a stop better than
the M8 and Lightroom Three probably improves both by at least that factor.
Generally well accepted that Nikon especially has very capable CMOS sensors
for tose very high ISOs and excellent noise reduction in camera. That's fine
and we have a number of fine shooters here that exploit that in their work.
Personally as just a Leica M shoote,r 640 is fine nearly all of the time and
I use up to 1000 without hesitation if needed.
For anyone interested, I reposted an M9 shot at ISO 2000. No cats, all
flowers. This is uncropped and processed with just a little care in
Lightroom 3. No third party noise reduction.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hoppyman/2/M92000.jpg.html

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman