Subject: [Leica] OT : Tripod recommendations
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:19:47 -0400

A tiltall is the only all-in-one that I know of that is not garbage. But an
excellent choice. A classic. Just a tad heavy.

I will say that getting a tripod which is both not too heavy or not too
light is a very nice thing. But the entire "interface" between you and your
camera and your tripod is the tripod head. And that choice is perhaps even
more important as to how well and how often you may be using your tripod.

My bottom like I posted on the lug last week was this as far as my
priorities on a 1000 metric dollar imaginary kit budget.

$400 Tripod
$300 Lens
$200 Camera body

I have many tripods the one in front I have here now is a Gitzo Carbon I got
in a close out  at B&H as they upgraded the twist thingies. And I'm not able
to upgrade on the internet as there is no USB connection on the tripod.

Some people feel they need the lightest tripod they can find. And will pay
anything to shave off ounces or grams.
Some people feel they need the heaviest tripod they can find. And will pay
big bucks for a 12 foot metal Gitzo that reaches to the ceiling and
proclaims them the heavyweight photographer of the neighborhood.

The problem with a light tripod is that it is light.
The problem with a heavy tripod is that it is heavy.
Its the same as pots and pans.

But it turns out it does mean a lot what those ounces or grams are composed
of. Plastic it turns out can feel and be much more useful than metal. Come
Autumn. They paint it black and call it "carbon". But it just ends up being
a very nice thing.
But also consider wood.

Consider a Berlebach
2042 Wood Tripod Legs with Leveling Center Column - Supports 26.5 lb (12.0
kg)
Made in sunny Germany (they make cameras there too!)
$249.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302816-REG/Berlebach_BE2042_2042_Wood_
Tripod_Legs.html
Or