Subject: [Leica] the new digital leica & documentary photography
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:41:54 -0400

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/omar-iphone-3a.jpg

"Hey," said Omar, skipping down the street waving a screwdriver, "Hey! Kyle!
Let me introduce you to someone." He grabbed me by the arm and lead me
across the street to a porch. "You two should meet one another," he said,
"you're both OBSESSED with me." A smiling 30something man, balding with thin
glasses introduced himself as Greg. "You lost the glasses I gave you," he
said to Omar. "I know I have lost them," Omar retorts, waving the
screwdriver, "I lead a life of ADVENTURE. Kyle takes pictures of me."

Indeed, I had my tiny iLeica in my pocket, small, and quiet, not like the
huge digital SLR's that do everything but carry home the Pulitzer for you.
The iLeica forces you to _think_. You can't just blaze away. You bring back
one or two or three photos. Not two hundred.

Omar deflated here for a moment, a brief one. I brought the camera up and
took a photo. As if pushed suddenly, Omar jumped and ran into the street -
he started waving at cars, doing some sort of dance, then picked up a stick
and broke it in half waving the two ends like a ramp agent guiding 747's
into the gate. "Hey!" he'd shout at the cars, waving the sticks back and
forth, "hey! PAY ATTENTION!"

The week earlier I'd seen him standing outside of the local coffee shop with
a deck of cards, methodically flinging queens and jacks and diamonds at two
patrons on the other side of the glass. Things catch his eye, he follows
them, then he moves on.

"Sometimes I don't see Omar on my morning jaunt," says Greg, "and I worry
about him."

"Me too," I said.

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] the new digital leica & documentary photography)