Subject: [Leica] What are the rumours around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 15:14:35 +1000

George just from public Leica Camera comment
They consistently sold 10,000 to 12,000 M bodies a year ever since the
introduction of the M6. This included the M8 years (when presumably almost
all production would have been M8's)
They are now saying that they expect to make twice as many M9's as
anticipated.
DMR sales during their availability period were quoted as 20% of M8 sales. I
guess that the reasons for stopped production are old news.
I have never heard any S2 production figures and I wouldn't expect to as
long as it is current and it has direct competitors of course. They never
release production figures for any lens that is still current either.
S2's are extremely rare here but then we are a market minnow naturally. I've
only personally seen one or two examples (may have been the same camera)
I shot with #00225 here just a couple of months ago. The first frame I shot
with it was L1000001.DNG
You can have fun interpolating from all of that if you like ;-)

My personal view is that Leica Camera is very committed to the S2 as a
flagship camera but the whole niche in which it lives is tiny for all
manufacturers combined. There have been some market share expectations
mentioned back when the camera was first announced. This post is supposed to
be just the facts ma'am ;-)
Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman