Subject: [Leica] What are the rumours around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:34:58 +0100

Aha! The technology to allow less of an error using rangefinder style lenses
on a digital sensor got developed. It is still not perfect though.
In the case of the R it seems the problem is economic, not enough potential
customers to make the camera profitable. This I understand, the Dslr market
has a huge selection manufactured in sufficient quantity for the price to be
competitive. I hear Canon and Nikon subsidise their 5 grand pro bodies by
the profit made on the consumer items. Combine the likely much reduced
potential market for the Leica, lets face it most dslr customers expect
autofocus and much cheaper lenses, and the absence of consumer model profits
to subsidise the R&D and I can see the business plan...
The S2 is a bit of a gamble, perhaps, the R not a gamble at all...
Frank Dernie

On 4 Aug, 2010, at 12:29, Tina Manley wrote:

> But Leica also said repeatedly that a digital M was impossible ;-)
>
> Tina
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at
> gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Why would they want to compete in the sharkpool of dSLRs. Keep
>> an eye out for whatever the 'suitable solution' proves to be for owners of
>> lenses but Leica has said repeatedly that it won't be a digital SLR from
>> Leica. I'm sure that they would sell some to R lens owners but they're not
>> convinced that is a sufficient demand on its own. With apologies to the
>> Doug
>> Herrs of the group ;-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Geoff