Subject: [Leica] Are the super wide R lenses the "sleepers" of the Leica line?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:22:50 -0400

I always assumed the M's would be better as more room in the back for a less
retrofocal design but I think I recall reading in Erwin's Leica Compendium
that the size factor is a big deal. An M lens had to have its size kept down
or it intrudes with the viewfinder. A R lens can be inflated Tupperware if
it wants.
When it comes to wides a basic thing is the wider a lens is the harder it is
to make right. Its much more of a challenge to do an ultra wide right.  So
the 19mm with help from Schneider may have been a recent marvel in optical
engendering but you don't want to compare its resolution and contrast to a
35mm lens.

Also the R's are plagued in the past as not being made by Leica but Minolta
or Sigma. So the line in general does not have the clout the M line does.
Naturally you have to take it on an example by example basis.

--
Mark William Rabiner
mark at rabinergroup.com