Subject: [Leica] World of pain - Mark's backup system (longish)
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:36:50 +0100

Here's what I do.

Photos are held on our main Windows PC.  When I import photos into
Lightroom, the raw images are backed up to a USB connected external HDD.
When Lightroom fires up, the catalogue is backed up to the network share
on the Linux server.  This is a separate backup to the one I'm about to
describe below.

I have a cheap PC running as  Linux server.  It has two RAID1 HDDs for
the system, which also act as my network storage.

My backup strategy revolves around an open-source package called
BackupPC which runs on the Linux server.  There is a third 1.5TB hard
drive in the Linux server which I have set up with 1TB and 0.5TB partitions.
Every day, BackupPC polls the devices on my network, including the
RAIDed disks in the server and instigates a backup. You can choose from
a number of transport/backup methods.  I use Rsync.  To run Rsync under
windows you need something called Cygwin, which is basically a Unix
emulator.  It will choose to either a full or incremental backup.  The
beauty of BackupPC is that it uses compression and pooling to make the
best possible use of the filestore that's available - in my case a 1TB
disk.  This can be extended as needs dictate.

Every Saturday morning I run an Archive.  This involves archiving the
backups collected by BackupPC onto an external 1TB drive.  The archive
process is a part of the BackupPC package.  I have three drives that get
rotated.  What I do then is take "last week's" backup next door - so I
have an off-site backup, swapping it with the "the week before last's"
backup.  The archives on the external drives are compressed TAR archives
- one for each machine/disk that's backed up.

The archive disks are really my last line of defence, meant to protect
me against totalloss of my PCs and server/backup system.
I have had a disk failure which meant I lost my backups.  I didn't need
to use the archives though as once I had rebuilt the system, BackupPC
just polled the machines on the network and after a couple of days,
things were back  to normal.

At the moment I'm backing up a Windows XP machine with a 250Gb and 500Gb
HDD, a Linux workstation with 250Gb HDD, two Macbooks (I had originally
earmarked the 500Gb partition on the server for running Time Machine
backups, but getting Time Machine to work was just too painful, so I use
Rsync) and finally the RAIDed 250Gb drives in the server.

BackupPC is a brilliant piece of FREE software.  Last week I
accidentally deleted the www directory on the server (I also use the
server as test web server).  I was able to restore the files in about
two minutes.

The total cost of my backup solution was around ?700 in total and this
includes having to additional disks after a a failure.  Higher spec
hardware would be nice, but the system works pretty well as it is.

I'm beginning to wonder whether there is a commercial opportunity here...
Thoughts?

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK