Subject: [Leica] altered photo
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:23:36 -0500

Perhaps.
However that becomes a slightly different conversation.
We seem to be discussing the gray areas, or degrees, of deception;
as produced by photographic retouching or alteration methods.

Weston saw the sensuality in peppers;
used, selection, camera, light and composition
and shared his thoughts, visually,
on that subject.

I'm all for using craft and art to bring beautiful people, places and things
to our attention.

I'm more concerned with the social and cultural importance
of any particular informational deception
than I am about deception "techniques"
(of which photoshop is just one).

I'd rather discuss where we "draw the line"
socially, politically and culturally
than where we draw the line in our use of photoshop.

As previously stated
who really cares if a caddy gets dropped out of a photo
(especially when the caddy suggested it would improve the shot to remove
him)?
compared to
airbrushing another two inches off (or on to) an already beautiful celebrity
body
with a result of increased anorexia (or cosmetic surgery) in our young
female population?

Adding or subtracting missiles from a news photo
obviously (to me) has far more important implications
than adding or subtracting caddies (from sports portraits).

So, for me, it's about cultural implications and importance
on a case by case basis;
rather than "thou shalt not alter in photoshop, in these ways, ever."

I welcome the creative use of tools to make powerful, socially useful
statements;
and deplore the creative use of tools to make powerful, socially harmful
propaganda.
How do we find and defend the lines between those two extremes?

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com