Subject: [Leica] World of pain
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:14:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Alastair,
What an awful ordeal. I hope you didn't loose any images and just the LR
catalogue (I couldn't really tell from the post).
I think having multiple catalogues is a great idea; one that I'll implement
now
that I've read your post.

I did a lot of thinking about data storage too. What is currently working
for me
(and I knock on wood?daily) is having directories for each year of
photo's.?At
the end of each year, I make a copy of that year's photos onto a hard drive
(not
WD as it seems to have some kind of proprietary code; I use G-Drives) and
store
it off site.

For current year images, before I copy them at the end of the year, I work
on
them locally; on?an external HDD via FW attached to my?Macbook Pro. Weekly I
backup these files to another HDD kept off site. My prior year files are
moved
to a RAID storage device so that I can access them currently (remember the
backups are kept off site). I also, at the end?of the year backup what's on
the
raid to a large HDD and keep off site.

So basically I end up with:
- Current year's files: on local HDD and on off site HDD backed up every few
weeks.
- Prior year files: on local RAID, orignal HDD and cumulative HDD kept off
site.

I'm hoping this is enough. Some day moving to the "cloud" may offer an
additional form of redundancy, but for now it is too slow and too expensive
for
large quantities of RAW files. It would also help if I went through
and?deleted
a bunch of "loosers", but I never did that with negatives and am reticent to
do
that with files.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Bob
?Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.rgaphoto.com