Subject: [Leica] [OT] Travel - What to do in Okinawa?
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:28:14 +0900

Hi Pasvorn,

now is really hot and humid in Okinawa and not where I would be headed
in summer.  Still, you can have some fun there.  I guess you'll be
headed to Naha, so ask about snorkeling off the coast there to the
Kerama Islands.  They give you buoyancy  aids if you can't swim.  It's
amazing there.

Okinawan fare is not renowned as the best food in Japan.  However, to
try a local speciality ask for goya chanpuru.  I love that dish!  Goya
is bitter gourd, a kind of bitter, knobbly cucumber that also grows in
India.  It is cooked with pork and tofu.  As for booze, awamori is
famous in Okinawa.  It's made from rice, but rather than fermented
like what you know as sake, it is distilled, so it is a spirit.  Some
special local bottles have a pickled snake inside.

Dine at evenings in recommended izakayas, which are basically places
to eat and drink, often with local live music played on the sanshin,
an Okinawan three-stringed traditional guitar-type instrument.

The folks of Okinawa, the former Ryuuku kingdom, are not the same as
mainland Japanese, historically and ethnically.  They tend to be very
laid back and warm, and with the U.S. military still (controversially)
there, you'll usually find someone who can speak some English.

All the best,

Peter

Replies: Reply from pasvorn at boonmark.net (Pasvorn Boonmark) ([Leica] [OT] Travel - What to do in Okinawa?)