Subject: [Leica] M8 firmware 2.005
From: red735i at earthlink.net (red735i at earthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 06:29:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

The orginal statement on M8 having a lens menu like the  M9....had it as not
possible......
Not possible and too $$$ are totally different things.....

One is a management decision not to supprt your customer base, the other is
a technical evaluation of feasibility.

I do not understand why this kind of FW could not be a chargeable fee....
If they can get $175 for a $16 battery, why not $100-300 for a FW update
with some meat in it?  Say a few thousand folk did the update at $300 each,
that would pay for the SW inveestment... the code is already written  ( for
the M9), it just need to be put into the M8 space, and then tested.  It is
not that expensive to do this....

Your fears over FW hacking..... Both the M8 and M9 code is accessible....
and comparisons can be made.
BUT, successful hacking is not done by amateurs, but by people that write
code for a living.
I am not suggesting that some Physicican/Lawyer/Indian Chief decide to hack
code on his M8.....

Frank

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis) ([Leica] M8 firmware 2.005)
Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] M8 firmware 2.005)