Subject: [Leica] OT - Music
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:50:09 -0400

2010-07-07-23:25:33 Jayanand Govindaraj:
> Jeff,
> I agree with you that composition is a better description than
> improvisation for Jarrett's solo outings. Thanks for the link. The
> problem with such sites is that they do not offer the complete album
> for download, buying bits and pieces for an album like this one just
> interrupts the flow. Works fine for general jazz and rock, though, as
> a sampler.

I'm not sure what you mean by "such sites"...  did you actually look
at the hdtracks.com site?  You'll note that while they do, indeed,
offer some individual tracks to buy separately, I guess because those
darned Kids Today have come to expect such, they always also (and I'd
say primarily -- that's certainly the only way I've bought music from
them) offer entire albums.  All tracks, cover artwork, the whole bit.
Play them in the proper order, and it's just like you're playing the
CD.  Except you don't have to get up and change discs if it would've
been a multi-CD release.  And if you got a higher-than-CD resolution
it sounds a bit more like real music than a CD can.

See up top where it says "Buy Album"?

It'd be silly to grab just one out-of-context hunk of a Jarrett
concert.  You have to hear it develop.

Here that one is in high quality:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD602527095837

...and here it is in mere CD quality:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=602527095837

Paris/London is expensive than most albums on the site because there's
a lot of music there -- if delivered on physical media I guess it'd
take three CDs.

The classic Koln [where'd the umlaut go?] performance from 1975, for
example, is $11.98 for the whole album.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=042281006722

Too bad it isn't available (yet?) in higher-res than the CD I already
have.  That raises a question: did ECM stop running analog tape (often
higher resolution and more musical than 16/44.1 digital) at a certain
point, and record some concerts irretrievably in low-res digital?  I
fear so, they were so convinced they were being "modern".

Anyway, the hdtracks folk keep signing more and more labels, and much of
what's available is actual excellent music, not just excellent-sounding
but perhaps less-than-musically-involving "audiophile" fodder.

They just added some Johnny Cash and Howlin' Wolf recordings from Sun
Records!

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] OT - Music)