Subject: [Leica] 21mm f1.4 Summilux - the next "must have?"
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 11:59:07 +0930

The  50 R Summilux was upgraded just before the R system was cancelled
(to the E60 filter version) but the 50 R Summicron hadn't been
redesigned since 1976.

There is a prototype 50/2 M asph at Solms that they have on display or
show to factory tours periodically.  I think they decided not to
release it because it would be too expensive for a lens of that
specification and most of the proposed features ended up going into
the 50/1.4 asph.  Given their recent price structure it wouldn't
surprise me if it appears eventually.  The old lend could do with
upgrading: among other things, the overall look of the images it
produces no longer matches as well as it used to with the rest of the
M line - and I have always thought that a major strength of the M
lenses was a very strong familial similarity in their imaging
characteristics.  All the recent (post 50/1.4 asph) asph lenses render
almost identically but just with different focal lengths and
apertures.

Marty