Subject: [Leica] IMG:Vario-Summicron Pictures (LX3)
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:00:35 -0500 (CDT)

I'm having a blast with a Panasonic Lumix LX3 that I bought last week (as
close as I can afford to a digital Leica).  So far I've mainly done
close-ups, and I am very happy with the lens performance, and being able to
shoot in RAW format.  This is my first hand camera without a viewfinder, so
I'm still getting used to that, but I like the fact that it's the same size
as my Olympus XA, yet has the capability to give me the equivalent of a 60mm
focal length on 35mm.  I always felt the 35mm lens on the XA was too wide,
but it did make it a pocketable camera.  Now, if I want wide, I have the
equiv. of 24mm (that focuses to one cm).  For grab shots, I can put my 28mm
Nikkor finder in the hot shoe for quick viewing, shut off the LCD screen to
save the battery, and let the camera auto focus.  My camera came with an
upgrade that remembers the last zoom position when shut down, so when I turn
it on, it's at the 60mm setting that I like.

Some samples:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/LX3_24mmf7_1_ISO400.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/LX3_60mmf8_ISO80.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/LX3_24mmf8ISO200.jpg.html>