Subject: [Leica] On batteries...
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:30:01 -0700

I think, but have no proof, that, like Frank ( the OTHER Frank) suspects,
that these HK batteries ( and now the Adorama ones) are leaky batteries that
did not pass spec when tested before encapsulation.

Further, and this is not as uncommon as some would think, they are
encapsulated on the same plastic molding machine, but with a different name
plate side, by the same molding company.  Thus they look almost 100% the
same, save for the name impressions, but are leaky..... so they do not last
as long as Leica batteries in the field.

Look, these Leica batteries are pretty low volume.  To make a plastic
injection mold cost around $50-150K a few years ago.... probably more today.
For t he return of the sale of a few thousand units, over life, it is not
worth a manufacturers' time to be bothered to spend the $$$ to do the mold.

If that bothers you, buy the Leica OEM battery, especially if all you need
is one spare.

If, like Tina and some of the others on this list, several batteries are
necessary for whatever reason, including pure fear of inability to charge a
battery, then buy HK/Adorama.

Like Tina said, for 10-15 batteries from Leica you would spend $2200-2500.
>From HK, about $225.

It is a personal choice........

BTW, incredible as it seems to me, Leica recently RAISED the list price by
$25 each.....

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

For my M9, I got two from Adorama, Flashpoint brand. I went to use on that
had been charged on arrival but not yet used. It has sat on a shelf for
about three weeks, and was flat as a fritter.