Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Shattered M8 sensor glass update (780 Euros) + soft focus confusion
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 21:51:15 +0900

Examining the scanned negatives of my focus test, I learned my 35 mm
Nokton is front focussing way too much.  Wide open, the area where I
focus is not even in the area of acceptable focus.

My 50mm Summicron is spot on, and focus is nailed pretty much right in
the middle of the area of acceptable focus.

My 90mm Tele-Elmarit is front-focussing a bit, but not as much as the
Nokton.  Focussing at 50cm, the area of acceptable focus is from 45cm
to 50cm, so it just scrapes in as usable here.  At 180cm it's about
7cm behind the acceptably focussed area.  At 340cm, it's about 23cm
behind the acceptably focussed area.

These results were the same when the lenses were mounted on my M3 and
my M6, tripod-mounted and handheld.

So, I think I don't have to worry about calibrating the M3 and M6 RFs
for now.  I am about to send the 'Cron and Tele-Elmar to Solms to join
my M8, which is in for repair.  The 'Cron and Tele-Elmar will be
calibrated with my M8.  I think I ought to inform Angela Frankl at
Solms that the Cron is perfectly fine on my M3 and M6, but the Tele-
Elmarit is front focussing.

I think I'll not send in the M3 and M6 with the lenses too, and just
cross my fingers that when the M8 and two lenses come back nicely
calibrated to work together, the lenses will work very well with the
M3 and M6 too.

As for the CV Nokton 35/1.2, I'll probably send it back to Cosina in
Japan, or to Stephen Gandy in the States, because I read that he is
very competent and offers reasonable rates.  That lens' front-
focussing is certainly the reason why my recent photos with it have
been soft-focussed.  The lens in made here in Japan, where I live.  I
could send it back there, or to Mr. Gandy, and tell them/him the
(severe) front focus problem at 50, 180 and 340 cms, asking them to
correct that.  At the same time I could ask them to solve the problem
of the focus ring getting a bit tight on my M8 those rare times when I
focus on infinity.  The version I bought was before they made the
amended version for the M8.  Apparently older lenses can be modified.

For CV or Mr Gandy to correct my front-focussing Nokton, do you think
they would require the camera it is to be most used with to be sent too?

Thanks for reading.  I have held off addressing the problem of RF and
lens calibration for a while because it gets confusing when more than
one camera and lens are involved.

Peter Cheyne