Subject: [Leica] Boston Fish Pier
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 17:34:11 -0400

When I was a college student more than 60 years ago we used to walk this
pier. Fishermen were busy cracking cooked lobsters to extract the meat and
sell it to local restaurants for Lobster Newburg. This was a favorite dish
at the time although the calorie content would make a nutritionist shudder.
Lobsters were so plentiful that pier side merchants would sell students
little bags of lobster knuckles for 5 cents. Lobster knuckles are those
round blobs of goodness between the lobster's claw and the body. You pushed
your finger in and extracted an acorn sized hunk of lobster meat. There were
about ten or twelve knuckles per bag which meant that you could have a good
lobster snack for about a dime. But I guess those days are gone forever. A
 lobster meal in a quality restaurant today would cost about the same as a
lens for a Leica.
Larry Z
- - - -

Dick writes:

Historic Fish Pier is still there and appears still to be a working pier,

though a suspiciously clean one to my eye, and the grundgy commercial

fishing boats seem seriously out of place among the spanking clean

buildings and tour boats.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/BOSTON/P1010241.jpg.html<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/BOSTON/P1010241.jpg.htmlor>

or<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/BOSTON/P1010241.jpg.htmlor>

http://tinyurl.com/27fk4cc