Subject: [Leica] Nathan Noshes at the "No Name" & Boston Redevelopment
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:50:16 -0400

As Nathan mentioned in an earlier post, we met for the first time yesterday
evening for dinner and drinks and had a fine time.

We ate at the "No Name" restaurant across the street from his hotel.  The
"No Name" was originally a diner for the fishermen working on Fish Pier
that, like the nearby Durgin Park restaurant, has, with redevelopment,
become a tourist destination.  When it opened in 1917 there was literally no
sign out front identifying it and over the years it developed a reputation
for serving the finest seafood in town.

Here's Nathan showing off his new 7-14 zoom.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/BOSTON/P1010225.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/3yvtjab

... and the upstairs dining room at the No Name.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/BOSTON/P1010230.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2d94s6a

It was something of a shock to revisit this part of Boston for the first
time in a couple of decades.  If it hadn't been for the familiarity of the
harbor I could have been anywhere.   All the ramshackle old factories,
warehouses, small restaurants, run-down piers, and parking lots that
screamed "Boston Waterfront" have been replaced by the now commonplace
sterile glass, steel, and brick hotels and offices; parking towers; and
(mostly) chain restaurants.

Historic Fish Pier is still there and appears still to be a working pier,
though a suspiciously clean one to my eye, and the grundgy commercial
fishing boats seem seriously out of place among the spanking clean buildings
and tour boats.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/BOSTON/P1010241.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/27fk4cc

All taken with the GF-1 and 7-14 f4.0 Lumix zoom.

C&C always welcome.

Regards,

Dick

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Nathan Noshes at the "No Name" & Boston Redevelopment)