Subject: [Leica] AGA Stoves
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:56:21 +0200

Hi Tina,

I grew up with one - the most amazing bit of kitchen "heavy engineering"
there is.  Ours was coke-fired and heated the water for the house too -
it could have run central heating as well, but we didn't have any. I
remember there were options for converting it to coal, wood, oil and gas
fuelling.

One drawback was gettting it going with coke - about 30 minutes with a
gas poker before it got up to temperature, but after that it was one hod
of coke and one clean out of asshes once a day

The massive cast-iron hotplates - one hot and one medium - are brilliant
for boiling and simmering respectively, and there's room for about three
pans on each. When the insulating lids are closed, there's hardly any
heat loss at all. The different ovens - fast and slow - are about the
best things there are for everything from roasting to baking bread and
drying fruit - for instance, you put your dough in the slow oven to rise
and then bake it in the fast one. Or put a casserole in the slow oven
and it will be lusciously tender for dinner in the evening.

It takes a little getting used to because you don't have as much control
over temperatures as with a gas or electric stove, it's all done by
finding the right position (rings) or the right level (ovens) to do the
job. We also had a washing rack hung from the kitchen ceiling above it,
so it was great for simultaneously drying and airing washing - just open
the lids and everything gets dry in no time at all. The thhings are so
well insulated that heat loss is minimal and you don't have a tropical
kitchen all year round.

There are alternatives - like Stanleys, which are available in
absolutely gorgeous dark green enamel and brass - but, as you wrote, the
AGA is the Leica of stoves (though definitely not as portable!).

I for one can heartily recommend them - I'm already sick to death of our
convector oven and ceramic top. You can't clean them with a steel wire
brush either like you can AGAs :-)

Cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] AGA Stoves)