Subject: [Leica] Macro-Elmar 90/4: comments
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 00:02:04 -0400

On Apr 26, 2010 at 03:55 PM -0400, Stan Yoder wrote:
> What's the general poop on this lens, in both ranges? Seems a clever
> option
> to Visos.

I picked mine up used, and use it only on film.  I like it a lot.  It's a
great travel lens.  Small in the bag, and good quality on the camera.  It
gives me more reach than my 50 at a distance, and gives me better closeups
close in than any other lens I have.  This could more or less be replaced by
the 75/2, but I'd rather have a small 90 than a larger 75, just because I
own a 50.  And it uses 39mm filters.  Nice.

The 'macro' adapter is cute.  It lets you go down to 1:3 - about the size of
an index card.  I don't use it that much, but it is useful.  It's not going
to replace a true macro setup.  Again, if you are traveling and wanted to
get a closeup of some trinket, carving, or script, etc. it's perfect.  Sure
a 100mm macro lens with an extension ring would accomplish the same thing
(and better) on an SLR, but if I have to pack light because I'm on a trip to
Japan, having the little extra flexibility in something that's the size of a
deck of cards is perfect.  I don't shoot that much macro and find this fits
most of my needs.  If you are into shooting true macro, bugs and stuff, get
a Canon and 100mm macro (great setup).  At those reproduction ratios, TTL
viewing is superior.

Think of it as an idea travel 90, and not a true macro lens.  The macro
adapter is just icing on the cake that extends it's capabilities.