Subject: [Leica] Autumn soon
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:11:49 +0930

It's a nice time of year here.  I spent the weekend in the tropics
sweating myself into a frenzy, but it's cool, clear and sunny in South
Australia.  In the nineteenth century some idiot brought radiata pines
to Australia and they continue to be grown as a plantation timber.
They are invasive here, changing the soil chemistry and playing havoc
with native animals.  But a nice hitch hiker came with them: Lactarius
deliciosus the saffron milk cap
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/L1005422.jpg.html
appears with the first Autumn rains and will make an amazing dinner
with fresh tagliatelle, onions, a little pancetta and creme fraiche.
The pocket knife belonged to my grandfather; the bone on the other
side was replaced with a piece of Australian red cedar by my father in
the 1940s.  I like using it.

In the garden, the Hachiya persimmons are ripe:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/L1005438.jpg.html
- I'm never sure what to do with them, particularly since we also have
a hundred kilograms of grapes to deal with at the moment.   I'll skin,
seed and reduce them and freeze the paste.  Some will go into jam,
some into sorbet.  There are thousands of them on the tree.  In a few
weeks I will trap some rabbits and slow roast them with persimmons.
It's just an idea.

I hope Spring in the Northern Hemisphere is as pleasant.

Marty

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Autumn soon)
Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol) ([Leica] Autumn soon)
Reply from foto at marcdufour.net (Marc Dufour) ([Leica] Autumn soon)