Subject: [Leica] question on gallery reproduction
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:10:26 -0500

On 4/22/2010 10:13 PM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
> To add my two Aussie cents (which is about ~2.15 US cents today, woohoo)
> consider the effect on your perception of the surrounds also. Specifically
> the background tone and any border you may use. The gallery background is
> quite dark neutral grey (a good thing). A lighter border can make the
> images
> 'pop' (which is why all muy posts tend to include that). Another trick is a
> very light grey border which fools you into seeing brighter highlights too.
> The best example that I know of to illustrate how adjacent tones affect
> your
> perception is here.
> http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html
>
> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

     Thanks Geoff.  I have experimented with different borders, but
still for some reason or another the b&w images come out "flat" in the
gallery.  However, it was easy to fix with a contrast curve.  Now the
gallery images are a very close match to my PS images.  I got Ted
Dillard's "Black & White Pipeline" and have been trying to refine my b&w
conversions.  Here are two:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/CRW_1683_001.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/CRW_1678.jpg.html

Regards,

Ken
(I still think there is something fishy about that checkerboard image :))

Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] question on gallery reproduction)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] question on gallery reproduction)