Subject: [Leica] Arundel photographica
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:14:22 -0500

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin at
gmail.com>wrote:

> Richard,
>

> I too believed that it was a sin to let a boat touch the bottom until I
> lived on the shore of the Irish Channel for a couple of years. The wide
> tidal range means that anchoring areas along the shore dry out and boats
> settle on the bottom for half a day.

I've owned a couple of twin keelers, (both British boats,) not because of
the huge tides in the Gulf of Mexico,  but because the boats had
particularly shallow draft.

Lake Pontchartrain averages about twelve feet, so it was nice to poke around
in a shallow draft boat with little fear of needing a tow.  (Almost never .
. . )

The Westerly 30 had just a 3 foot draft, but I did manage to run her aground
one night on the north shore, and it cost me a bottle of Jack Daniels to get
her pulled off.

My earlier sloop, a Vivacity 20 drew only about 2 feet.

Here's a picture of what bilge keels look like.  Makes it easy when you need
to paint the bottom too!

 http://sailboatdata.com/VIEWRECORD.ASP?CLASS_ID=3616

--
Regards,