Subject: [Leica] Credit Card Fraud
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 17:05:15 +0000 (UTC)

We are careful with our credit card use but seem to have a security issue
every year or two. I have to say that CitiBank has been incredibly
responsive on all of these. Examples:

Two years ago my card was hijacked and duplicated physically. Before
CitiBank identified the fraudulent use (which is a fascinating story), there
were more than $11,000.00 of fraudulent charges on the card. We paid nothing
and they sent replacement cards overnight.

Last week the card information was hacked from an online vendor. Citibank
called to verify suspicious recent use and it turned out that there sere
several thousand dollars of fraudulent charges on the card. We will be
paying nothing and got replacement cards quickly (but didn't need them
overnight).

Even when there has been no data theft, we have occasionally gotten calls to
verify use when my wife and I were using the card in different locations at
the same time, though I don't think this has happened recently. One example
I remember was multiple, near-synchronous gasoline purchases in different
locations. I think their monitoring has gotten more sophisticated now and
identifies that for what it is.

By the way, I understand that when I say "we paid nothing," that's not
literally true. The cost of those fraudulent charges is spread out over
CitiBank's cardholder base as a cost of their card programs. I assume they
figure that if they held their accounts to the letter of the agreement, card
use (which is probably a big profit center for most banks, even considering
only merchant fees) would decline dramatically, either to competitors or as
a result of cards being less attractive in general.

FWIW ...

John Newell