Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3rds
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 22:15:25 -0400 (EDT)

Henning Wulff wrote:

>The reason I said the 'boat' example is a valid comparison is that
>the lenses are of equal speed (and approximate cost) and neither can
>be used with any other stabilizing system other than the shock
>absorption of your body.

You can use a shoulder stock.

>The 'land' comparison isn't valid as laid out because you're
>comparing a $1500 lens against a $3500 or so lens, and when you allow
>tripod or other serious bracing options IS is taken out of the
>equation.

I don't follow, Henning.

>In your situation, Doug, where you take the time to properly
>research, stalk and approach a creature and use the best lens and
>best support IS becomes irrelevant unless you are forced to suddenly
>take a shot with your 280/4 plus converter handheld at 1/30 second.
>Then IS _might_ be useful.

I often get subject motion at 1/250 sec, so a steady camera at 1/30 sec is
irrelevant.

>I've shot with 400mm+ lenses since the early 60's, and have had 400mm
>lenses of various qualities. The best lens optically I've had is the
>first generation of 400/5.6 Nikkor P-C that had exotic glass but had
>not yet been marketed as 'ED'.

I've also used this lens.  I'm equally unimpressed with it's handling, but
after using the 280mm f/4 APO with 1.4x extender, the Nikkor's image quality
didn't wow me.

>IS is not a panacea but in many circumstances can allow you to get an
>image that you couldn't get otherwise.

I'm not disputing this but...

>Many types of photography depend on getting the shot at all at some
>level, and the ultimate technical quality doesn't make/break the
>shot.

Here's where my priorities suggest something other than getting the shot at
all.

> Here IS can be a huge aid, whether or not image quality is
> compromised, which I still believe is minimal in an of itself.

Do you have any evidence to substantiate this belief?  The Canon 300mm
example suggests otherwise, and that's not even including color quality in
the discussion.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com