Subject: [Leica] R lens option for DSLR
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:52:37 -0700

On Mar 23, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>> Nathan -
>>
>> I can understand your reasoning, but for 99.9% of the photographers I
>> know,
>> the M9 with its lenses is a light-weight system!  Try carrying around any
>> of
>> the Nikon or Canon DSLR pro cameras with their lenses!  It's weird to
>> think
>> of the Leica M as being the heavy choice!  I can't imagine liking the
>> viewfinder on the GF-1.
>>
>> Tina
>>
> You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him/her drink.
> Like most people I'd commit three felonies and a misdemeanor to be in a
> place like London for a week shooting my Leica M9 with my Leica glass.
> I don't know what you can say to the mindset of sombody who buys an M9 for
> seven grand and then leaves it at home to go to London and shoot with
> plastic gadget camera that people who don't have seven grand get to smooth
> things over with and not very well.
> Its just and astounding move which kind of leaves you with your mouth
> hanging open.
> Weight : 585 grams vs. 315  grams that's a real reason to not drag around
> that awkward heavy Leica M9  a camera which is way smaller than your
> standard serious photographic choice; a 5D or a D3 or D700 which way around
> 1000 grams. Twice an M9.
>
> At the bottom of your camrea bag is where you find a plastic camera like
> that for backup. Its a common way of working. You pull it out when
> "photographers" are not wanted but everybody is taking pictures.
> The Lumix is $8,349 cheaper than the Leica!!
> You'd be saving money if you hadn't already bought the Leica.
> That just makes using a plastic 4/3's camera in such an amazing
> photographic
> opportunity... AMAZING!

hi Rabs...

While all that may be true, it's simply mental masturbation. You need to buy
an M9 or a Lumix, or both, and use them. This will substitute adequately for
your need to comment on every one else's practices.

makes sense doesn't it?

Steve

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] R lens option for DSLR)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] R lens option for DSLR)