Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 03:03:27 -0400

I was told by a photographically interested economist that the cost of a
Leica camera in the '30s was two weeks salary for the average working man.
That is if he still had a job. The price stayed at approximately two weeks
salary until the early '60s. It started to rise after that time until it is
six weeks salary today. That is if the would be purchaser still has a job.

One of the attractions of the Leica in the early days was the high price. A
Leica dangling from your wrist was a sign of affluence. I guess the
marketing strategy hasn't changed in 80 years.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica prices)
Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] Leica prices)