Subject: [Leica] Beware HCB Wannabees
From: scleroplex at gmail.com (scleroplex)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:39:28 -0400

greetings!

am posting this link for LUGers, including our resident celebrity ted grant

http://www.wickedlocal.com/lincoln/news/lifestyle/x154264562/Polumbaum-collection-featured-at-Newseum

ted polumbaum to me represents what a photojournalist should be
a true professional, a good citizen and a great human being

he suffered greatly for his principles, was blacklisted as a journalist
and never became a celebrity photographer

he was working at the time for UPI, which never supported his constitutional
rights
and now belongs to the moonies

i had the privilege of having him as my patient 10 years ago
he was a man of absolute integrity and remains an inspiration to me
everyday

the vermont case is a clear point of law

one should not face a legal ban without a judicial decision
and bypassing the right to answer charges against you

what has happened to that man is an administrative ban
just like what used to be common in apartheid south africa

aptitude, attitude and personal likability are all irrelevant under the law
in this country

when i got pulled off a plane and faced arrest for taking photographs
it had nothing to do with aptitude, attitude or likability
i even was using a small silent Leica

it was because i was brown, unlike our resident celebrity ted grant

thankfully under the law, that was deemed irrelevant too
which is why i'm still flying and clicking on planes

with the exception of some like rabiner,
most of the comments in this thread remind me
of what people said when the nazis first started their attacks

sooner or later it will also affect you

again, this is a clear point of law, which applies equally to the celebrity
photographer, the protective parent and the inept fool

one more thing about ted polumbaum
he was ever the epitome of humility

unlike celebrity photographers, he never yelled
in person or in print

when one thinks of ted polumbaum, hubris never comes to mind

yours sincerely,
bharani padmanabhan md phd
boston

Replies: Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] Beware HCB Wannabees)