Subject: [Leica] FujiFilm discontinues some films.....
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:03:55 +1030

These are discontinuations by Fuji in Japan.  These films are gone.
So, notably, is 120 format Neopan 400; which was discontinued because
it contained perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS) as a surfactant and
anti-static agent.  PFOS was added to Annex B of the Stockholm
Convention on persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in May 2009:
http://chm.pops.int/Convention/Press...S/Default.aspx - Japan has just
passed legislation to take up these new controls.  Hence Fuji can't
continue production of the current formulation.  Communication has
been poor and Fuji haven't said if there will be a new formulation.

PFOS is a powerful immunosuppressant, carcinogen and persists and
concentreates in biological systems. I'd have considered avoiding
using Neopan 400 120 had I known that the film contained PFOS.  PFOS
can pass across skin; I am glad I've always worn gloves when
processing. It also shows that films are very complex chemically and
contain unexpected components.

Marty

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] FujiFilm discontinues some films.....)
Reply from pasvorn at boonmark.net (Pasvorn Boonmark) ([Leica] FujiFilm discontinues some films.....)