Subject: [Leica] Being a fly on the wall
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:49:47 -0500

Yeah, I suppose I'm using a bit of hyperbole here. It's all a matter of
where to draw the line when one is shooting in public. I tried taking some
photos of houses in my neighborhood the day before Katrina, just to have
before and after photos. Needless to say, someone called the police who told
me to cease. Seems it was perceived as my making photographic records of
houses to loot after the people had evacuated. Perceptions don't always
equal intentions, but they are important nevertheless.

About 30 years ago, there was a television show about bizarre commercials
and television shows from countries other than the US. One Middle Eastern (I
think it was Egypt) variant of "Candid Camera" had a guy in a suit walking
into a public place, setting down a suitcase, and then running like hell
from the scene. Needless to say, it causes utter pandemonium every time with
panicked people knocking things over trying to escape. The host was laughing
so hard he could barely talk.

I'm not making this up, folks.

The thread did seem to become incendiary. My initial comment was that they
fellow who has been suppressed by the local police might attract less
attention with a smaller camera, smaller lens, and quieter shutter. A nice
sweater and soft shoes might be nice too. It quickly degenerated into a how
dare you tell me (who?) what photographic equipment I can use? I do still
stand by my original statement. The guy would probably still be shooting and
getting images if he looked and acted like Perry Como, and I don't think it
would make him non-creative. Some in-your-face people are creative, and many
aren't. Some people with a calm demeanor are creative as well. I don't see
the cause and effect relationship.

Jeffery

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Being a fly on the wall)
Message from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Being a fly on the wall)