Subject: [Leica] IMG: Casual portrait of LUG photographer
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:44:14 -0500

These days, with digital work flow, we have many possible solutions.
Choosing the personally correct or optimal solution for any
particular image
defines a photographers body of work.

Aesthetic decisions as to when to use
color, black and white, hand coloring, toned and/or split toned
calligraphy, typography, retouching, filters, (and more)
depend on subject, purpose, and the aesthetic intention of the
photographer.

For me: use of color means that I want the element of color to be
part of the visual conversation.
In some way the photograph is about the color as well as the subject
(or perhaps color in relationship to the subject).
Likewise: If I choose black and white - the photograph is about the
monochromatic tonality
in relationship to the color.

Of course a photograph is about much more than just the color or
monochrome tonality.
Yet, when we intentionally choose a technique - that technique become
part of the visual conversation.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com