Subject: [Leica] IMG: Street Shot/Dog Show/Old Travel Pix
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:55:21 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 Hugh Thompson <hewthompson at mac.com>wrote:

>People and dogs, ever fascinating ..... you picked up some really
>great relationships, like hair and wrinkles, fun stuff

And:

>Alan - fine photos, beautiful tones
Thanks for taking time to look and comment.

Those travel pictures were processed years ago, but I did the dog show film
this week, and am I glad
I learned to develop by inspection.  I mixed some excess UFG last fall so it
didn't go to waste, and used it once or
twice, but it must have lost strength since then.  After the recommended
five minutes, I looked at the film under
the green safelight (I use a foot switch to minimize the time it's on) and
saw only very weak images, so I put the
reel back in the tank and gave it another seven minutes.  By then there was
a reasonable amount of density, so
I rinsed and fixed the film.  The negatives were still a bit thin, but they
scanned very well, so it worked out fine.

I used to experiment with all kinds of combinations of films/developers so
that I never relied on time/temp charts;
I just pulled the film out when it looked right.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee