Subject: [Leica] IMG: Unknown bird
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:25:55 +0100

Hi all,

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Birds/Unknown_Bird.jpg.htm

Not a particularly good snap, but I think it shows enough to identify it.

This bird has been visiting our neighbour's garden for quite a while
(Posy the cat seems to be too much of a threat in ours).

It's about the size of a thrush or blackbird, but it doesn't have the
typical thrush spots on its pale grey underside and the colouring of its
head seems wrong. A closer look through binoculars showed that it has
barring on its rump just below the wings (a bit like on a hawk) rather
than spots.

The only bird I've found that is similar is a Fieldfare, but it doesn't
look quite right either.

Would appreciate help with identification, so TIA.

Cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] IMG: Unknown bird - URL corrected)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] IMG: Unknown bird)