Subject: [Leica] New 35/1.4 ASPH?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 06:01:38 -0800

It is true that for a short period of time, the Dollar was half the value of
the Euro at its bottom.  That is a comparison of peak to trough.    But over
the same 10 years time, time, the current ratio is more like 50%...... Which
components, and services, and equipment are purchased in the US or other
countries that make that "simple" 1:1  comparison of
old" lens prices compared to todays price be untrue?  ( A fact: Glass blanks
from Japan are up roughly 30%)

As much as we would like to use off-the-cuff and simplified math ratios for
the explanation, it simply is too simplistic and in total fact, untrue.

A simple truth is that they can get it..... from some segment of their
total/desirable/perceived market....and that at that price point, they are
sold out.

I have said this before.... the best time to buy a Leica Lens, new, is when
it first becomes available for sale... after that, the price goes up....
never down.

So Mark, if you really want that 24 F1.4 lens, best spend your money
today... tomorrow the price will go up, yet again......

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

This is mostly because your currency value has almost halved over the same
period.

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] New 35/1.4 ASPH?)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New 35/1.4 ASPH?)
Message from joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao) ([Leica] New 35/1.4 ASPH?)