Subject: [Leica] Crazy
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:02:06 -0800 (PST)

> what did he "lie" about?

We count on journalists, whether print or photo, to tell us "What it was
like?"? This photographer's contest photo answers that question with a lie.

In the contest photo (http://bit.ly/bYEjtq), the photographer consciously
employs the gritty black and white visual language of boxing and equally
consciously evokes the ritual of taping the hands--think "On the Waterfront"
and "Raging Bull"--to establish a mood and feel.

He's linking his subject to the macho romance and danger of the ring.? He's
telling us that in some essential way his subject is like boxing, a
working-class sport that chews up young men, a sport where death is
ever-present, a sport in which the chance of brain damage over the course of
a career is 100%.

The contest photo says "Damon Runyon."? The reality of the actual event was
"Family Circus."? And that is a gross misrepresentation.? It is a lie.

Sure, all photos lie.? It's a favorite cliche and one that I pull out in my
teaching all the time.? What we're really saying is that some degree of
subjectivity is inevitable.? That's why we have standards to keep things
under control.

--John

John Edwin Mason, Photography:
http://www.JohnEdwinMason.com