Subject: [Leica] PIXEL PITCH SIZE
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:47:55 -0600

Mark,
I totally agree with you on the acreage issue.
I'd love to own a full frame M9 (and R for that matter).
I'd love to have a CFV39 for my 'blad Zeiss glass
(as well as the ability to hang the back on my Ultima).
I cannot see being able to afford the high end acreage
for the foreseeable future.

I don't have the engineering skills to explain
why my little (cropped) M8 and DMR 6.8 CCD pixels out perform
my (full frame) 5D 8.2 Cmos pixels
in every subjective, visual way that I care about
(fine detail and dynamic range)
from ISO 160 through 640
above which
the 5D begins to deliver less noise.

(however, in many, not all, subjective cases
even from ISO 640-1200
I prefer the "look" of the noise from the M8 and DMR
to the "look" of the noise from the 5D.
above ISO 1200 - no contest - 5D wins)

Just my experience with the equipment I own and respect
(yes I do respect the 5D and the C lenses I own).

Each of my 3 digital systems has its optimal applications.
I choose the right tool for the intended objectives.

YMMV

As someone else pointed (Frank D I believe)
the M8 continues to be my "little" camera
and I see no need for anything smaller
(nor need for larger pixels;
and yes I wish it were an M9;
but I need to fix the wash machine
and install a new ceramic kitchen counter
and faucet in the next week; the roof needs replacement;
and the house list goes on and on).

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com