Subject: [Leica] About Pizza
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:30:52 -0500

About Pizza - it is as American as Fortune Cookies.

 The pizza that the world knows and loves is basically an Italian/American
invention and owes relatively little but the name to the Neapolitan variety.
At least that's a personal observation. A year prior to the outbreak of WW2
my family spent a couple of months in Naples, allegedly for a vacation but
really to help my uncle Max wind up his affairs and immigrate to the US.
Uncle Max was the cantor in one of the larger Jewish synagogues in Naples,
an odd job for a Russian Jew. As a young man he had studied for the opera
stage in Russia prior to the revolution. When he left, one jump ahead of the
Bolsheviks, he moved to Italy to continue his studies. As one of the few
singers who could read Hebrew, he gravitated to the synagogue and stayed
there for 20 years. Even in shul the Italians appreciated good singing.

My family stayed in his apartment in a lower middle class section of Naples.
His wife wouldn't cook on the sabbath so my brother and I would buy
something to eat from the vendor across the street, usually pizza. As I
recall it was a wedge of flat bread drizzled with olive oil with some garlic
and herbs on top. No cheese, no pepperoni, no anchovies. Just bread.

It wasn't until I moved to New York half a century later that I got the real
story. Pizza, as we know it, was invented by the Italian immigrants about
1900. They took the traditional Neapolitan pizza and added all the goodies
that were too expensive in Italy. First the tomato sauce, then the cheese,
finally the meat toppings. Fuel was cheap enough so that you could keep a
pizza oven hot all day and make pizza to order. Thank God. I hated the
Neapolitan stuff. It might have been healthier but it left my mouth all
oily.

Fortune cookies were invented in Brooklyn, NY.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol) ([Leica] About Pizza)