Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin and 6 Leicas
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:25:57 -0700

Vince Passaro wrote:
It's odd that there would be such radically opposed schools of thought on
his printing: I could understand "really great" versus "good but not
great...."  But what we have is "great" versus "bad amateur."  I'll have to
do a little more research on this matter, obviously.

Seems odd to me too.  Googling on "Eugene Smith printmaker" yields numerous
hits attesting to his printmaking excellence, though obviously people are
just expressing their opinions.  I know that when I took a Photo 101 course
back in around 1960, we were taught that Smith labored over his prints to
achieve certain effects, and often bleached highlights for dramatic
purposes.  This doesn't make him a great printer, but that was his
reputation back then.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a print that I knew to be
printed by him, so I'll withhold my own judgment.  His work looks great in
magazines, though. ;-)

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE