Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin, and 6 Leicas
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:01:01 -0500

Chaplin's Limelight period was an odd time for him. I'm not surprised Smith
had difficulty connecting with Charlie.

The film is most notable for the incredible work done by Buster Keaton, who
Chaplin basically rescued for the film, very late in both pof their careers.
It's one of my favourite Chaplin films (I've seen them all) but it's
maudlin, shamltzy, bittersweet and not what most normally thinks of as one
of Charlie's greatest.

As for Smith, that he was working with SIX Leicas is a bad sign right off
the bat. That is simply too many cameras. IMHO, using anything more than
three cameras on a shoot is a sign of a troubled mind; two would be much
better.

Emanuel

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin, and 6 Leicas)