Subject: [Leica] Coyotes
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:22:48 -0500

Leo Wesson writes:

Haven't seen this in many years:  some coyote pissed off a rancher so

he shot the coyote and hung him on a fence as a warning to other

coyotes.  Used to be fairly common sight.

http://homepage.mac.com/leosarv/coyote/index.html

- - - - -

Coyotes are a minor but increasing problem in the NorthEast. They are found
all over New York State and have even been sighted in New York City's
Central Park. Around my area they pose a problem only to people with cats
since the little felines prove to be the coyote's favorite snack. We have a
couple in the woods around out home who occasionally take down a very young
fawn. But in one sense they are a real benefit. Far more annoying than the
coyotes are flocks of illegal immigrant Canada Geese who crap on lawns,
chase small children, and chase away other more docile birds. Apparently the
geese fear only one animal - the coyote. Garden stores do a brisk business
in fake coyotes made of plastic with a few ribbons hanging from them to
simulate hair moving in the wind. Stand a plastic coyote in your yard and
the geese will give it a wide berth, at least until they decide that it is
no threat. A real dead coyote hanging from a tree branch and swaying in the
wind might work better.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Coyotes)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Coyotes)