Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin, and 6 Leicas
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:09:15 -0800 (PST)

The current issue of American Photo (March/April 2010) has in it a
fascinating article by the late W. Eugene Smith (never before published)
about his 1952 Life magazine photo essay on Charlie Chaplin.

The occasion was the filming of Chaplin's Limelight.? Smith talks about his
relationship with Chaplin, his working methods (including the 6
Leicas--different lenses, different films), and his sense of having failed
to produce the story he wanted.

Several photos from the shoot accompany the article.? (None of which looks
like a failure to me.? But, then, I'm not W. Eugene.)

If you don't subscribe, it's worth a trip to a magazine rack.

You can see the original story, as it was published in Life, at Google
books.  (The text here is not Smith's.):

http://books.google.com/books?id=x1QEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA117&dq=smith+chaplin+limelight&as_pt=MAGAZINES&cd=1#v=onepage&q=smith%20chaplin%20limelight&f=false

http://bit.ly/cx9SKd

--John

John Edwin Mason, Photography: