Subject: [Leica] Winter view - 21mm lens comparison
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:54:57 +0100

The sun came out today - I've been wanting to compare a couple of wides
for while, but I never thought the difference would be so much, and in
this order.

A view from our skylight window across the frozen canal:

Yashica 3.5/21mm at f3.5

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Hannover/_MG_0738.jpg.html

Leica Super-Angulon-R 4/21mm at f4

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Hannover/_MG_0741.jpg.html

Yashica 3.5/21mm at f8

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Hannover/_MG_0740.jpg.html

Leica Super-Angulon-R 4/21mm at f8

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Hannover/_MG_0743.jpg.html

If you take a look at the large versions, the Yashica lens is quite a
bit better at the edges both wide open and at f8.

I had heard that the SA21 was supposed to be not one of Leica's best
lenses, but that a very reasonably priced Yashica lens is its equal or
better was something I hadn't expected (I had suspected that it was
pretty good, but I had never shot a direct comparison before).

Technical details: Canon 20D at ISO equivalent 100

The shots have only been corrected for the exposure differences you get
when shooting at different f-stops with a Canon DSLR, sharpening is the
camera default setting.

Cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol) ([Leica] Winter view - 21mm lens comparison)