Subject: [Leica] Two Panos of the staircase at Elizabeth Bay House
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:48:32 +0800

> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:16:15 -0500
> From: Howard Ritter <hlritter at bex.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Two Panos of the staircase of Elizabeth Bay House
>       -       lens distortion
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Howard,
>
> Just a nitpicking question: is the dome actually elliptical (both
> ends of the long axis identical) or is it perhaps oval (egg-shaped)?
> I'm just struck by how much tighter the curve at the far rim of the
> dome appears to be than the near edge. Maybe it's an effect of
> perspective and projection, but boy do they look different. Of
> course, an oval would be really weird...
>
> howard

Hi there,
Yes, the dome is actually elliptical. From the handbook for the house:
The villa form allowed architectural experimentation with shaped
interior spaces. Elizabeth Bay House's cubic entrance hall leads to an
elliptical, domed, top-lit saloon containing the stair. The saloon
dominates Elizabeth Bay House's plan.
Cheers
Howard