Subject: [Leica] OT - New Nikon Lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:10:55 -0500

> Mark,
>
>>> Although the 24mm f/1.4   Nikor will appeal to people of a Leica LUG
> mentality such as myself  the  16-35mm f/4 VR will be the most used lens
> of
> 2010 and 2011 by shooters with Nikons.<<
>
> I agree with you on that. The 16-35/4 will probably outsell the 24/1.4
> by 10 to 1. Maybe 100 to 1. The only thing holding it back might be the
> cost. It's expensive for an f4 lens.
>
> I have a 17-35/2.8, but my (f-mount converted) 50/2 and 28/2.8 Leica
> lenses are used far more often on my D700. I used my 45P Nikkor for a
> while to save weight. (A D700 with 50/2 is surprisingly heavy). But I
> switched back to using the 50/2.
>
> It's hard for me to use anything but Leica lenses, given the choice.
> OTOH, when I read about the 24/1.4 it went immediately to the very top
> of my wish list. I'm not sure what I'd gain over the 28/2.8 Elmarit (or
> the 28/2 Nikkor, which I also own but rarely use). I don't need f1.4 or
> autofocus, necessarily. A 50/1.4 and 24/1.4 I could live with, though.
>
> I'm glad to see Nikon introduce lenses rather than a new body. Bodies
> come and go but lenses are forever. The only Nikon body that might
> appeal to me would be a smaller, lighter FX.
>
> Dave R

I love Leica lenes that's why I'm here.
But the DSLR WORLD is not so much a world of fixed lens shooting though
there's no law against it yet.
Its every much a zoom ball game.
I just "ordered" my 60 and 100 AF macros out from storage in Portland but
the way most work you see gets done nowadays is with zooms. 99.99 percent of
it. And I think for good reason. Zooms on DSLRs
And a person who was not so exited about tele and normal zooms in the
decades we started out in are playing a different tune now that the wide
zooms have come in . Turns out not only are they viable they're also
amazingly more important. They have taken over.
Leica has the LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 21-35 mm f/3,5-4 ASPH. I don't know much
about it or recall it being talked about on the LUG. I know its a bit on the
conservative and long in the tooth design side. But I bet its great. And of
course I'd need to knock over a bank.
The other tool Leica has given us to put us in the the ball game in the
starting lineup is the Leica Super Wide Angle/Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M
16-18-21mm f/4 Asph.
That on an M9 and what comes later could give results that stand out amongst
all the  rest.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner