Subject: [Leica] Olympus hits back with a stripped down micro 4:3 for $599 w/ lens
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:37:47 -0500

Feb 9, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

>> Peter et al.,
>> I fully agree with you regarding the LCD screens and their utility in
>> bright light or dark situations.  I am amazed this Leica(!) list is so
>> enamoured by digital cameras w/o rangefinders.

Steve pointed out:

>or do you mean viewfinders?
>
>if so, that sounds like a broad conclusion, perhaps there are a few people
>that like them...

I wasn't keen on it before I tried it. But the EVF a) is TTL and therefore
without parallax error and b) it includes shutterspeed/aperture info in the
finder as well as a histogram and other information that otherwise you'd
have to take the camera away from your eye to see. The one on the GF-1 is
also bendable so you can use it also as a wlf, or with the camera all the
way to the ground.

With auto focus and face recognition it focuses a lot faster than I can with
a rangefinder.

The thing that I like most about my M's is the size, not so much the
focusing system.

YMMV

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Olympus hits back with a stripped down micro 4:3 for $599 w/ lens)