Subject: [Leica] False start explained well
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:41:11 -0800

> From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols at lighttube.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] False start explained well
> To: "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> I have another concern about this assumption.  Since the speed of light is
> much faster than the speed of sound, it seems to me that this would
> penalize
> an athlete who watched the starter, for the flash of the gun.
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA

Jim.  In all the years I competed and coached I have never seen a sprinter
look at the starter.  Would seriously impede their start, I think.  As far
as the speed of sound, while a minimal difference in this situation, modern
starting blocks have speakers built into them and the gun really does not
make a sound at all.  So, each runner has the same distance between
themselves and the source of sound right behind them.  They try to think of
everything.  but even controversy surrounds the silent gun.

Aram

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] False start explained well)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] False start explained well)