Subject: [Leica] False start explained well
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:07:31 -0500

Aram writes:

Hi Ted.  As a former track athlete and coach, this is one very perplexing

rule.  It has been around for quite some time, including those Olympics
that

you have shot.  Here are a few links:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question702.htm

http://www.condellpark.com/kd/reactiontime.htm

So, the anticipation of 0.10 seconds has been wired into starting blocks
for

decades, I believe.  It use to be that you were not DQ'd for a violation of

the 0.10 second rule, and the race was just restarted, but I guess in 2003

that changed.  Now this year they have changed again so you can be DQ'd

after the first "false start".  No more one for free.

The second URL explains the concept of false start and reaction time better
than anything I have ever read. Although specific to track athletes, the
data are applicable to photographers who question the relevance of exposure
lag. Anticipation is the key to getting great pictures of spur of the moment
events. You simply can't react fast enough. Luck helps too.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] False start explained well)